A Yummy Sandwich!March 14, 2011 at 2:10 am | Posted in easy cooking, Fast Food, Food, gardenburger, Health, healthy cooking, Kristin Bell, low-calorie meals, mozzarella cheese, pesto, roasted tomatoes, sandwich, spinach | Leave a comment
So, the thing is, I hate cooking and I don’t like to eat healthy food! What a great combo, right? LOL Probably one of the reasons why I’m so fat. But, I’ve been trying to eat a bit better and lose some of the pounds. I went to Starbucks one day and decided to try their Roma Tomato and Mozzarella Sandwich. It is completely delicious! But then I’m like “I can’t afford to eat this delicious sandwich every day. What should I do?!?” So, I adapted the sandwich to make it at home and I’m here to share my results with you.
The skill level for making this sandwich is like super-beginner. You need NO skills whatsoever. If you can buy the food at the store, open the packages and turn on the microwave you are golden! This sandwich can be adapted with changes to make it however you like, but here is the general idea.
What you need: bread, roasted tomatoes (they come in a can), pesto (generally sold in the cheese/fresh pasta area), baby spinach, gardenburgers, and mozzarella cheese.
The whole sandwich is less than 450 calories depending on how you make it.
Here are what the ingredients look like that I used:
1) Bagel Thins, because they are only 110 calories and I like bagels.
2) Mozzarella cheese slices. I got the pre-sliced ones that are 80 calories per slice, but you can slice your own if you like. It is probably cheaper that way.
3) The *Original* Gardenburger. You could use whatever you like, but I like the Original kind. It is 150 calories. Also, you could have the sandwich without any garden burger at all or you could even use a regular burger, but that would involve cooking, which I don’t do! haha
4) Pesto. You can make it yourself I suppose, but I didn’t. I bought it in a container. Less than 1 tablespoon, so approx. 50 calories.
5) Roasted tomatoes. These are very low in calories and come in a can already cooked.
6) Baby spinach. Also very low in calories. Bought it already washed and ready to go!
Now all you have to do is:
1) Toast your bagel.
2) Cook your Gardenburger for about 45 seconds on high in the microwave for each side.
3) Put a bit of pesto on the bagel. Here is what mine looked like:
4) Put a bit of the roasted tomatoes on one side. Here is an example:
5) Add the pre-cooked Gardenburger, put on the slice of mozzarella and top with the baby spinach. Don’t forget to put the lid on! Here is what it looks like before it is cooked, and I suppose you could eat it without cooking it anymore if you like.
6) I like to have it nice and warm with the cheese melted, so I put the whole thing in the microwave for about 30-35 seconds on high to melt everything together. Here is the finished sandwich!